Saturday, January 16, 2021

Question for Heidi

Hi Heidi,

North has one of your favourite hands, 16 HCP balanced hand with 5-card Spades. There is a twist. The RHO (West) has opened 1.

a. Should North overcall with a bid of 1♠ or 1NT?

b. North bid 1♠ in our case, how should South respond in this case with balanced hand and three ♠?

c. Would a bid of 1NT by East change South's bid?

NS vulnerable, E is dealer:

North
♠AK762
AT7
J8
♣A54
West
♠JT
QJ862
K975
♣KQ
East
♠954
K5
A632
♣9862
South
♠Q83
943
QT4
♣JT73

N E S W
Pass Pass 1
???


Heidi's Answer 1a

I think overcalling 1♠ or 1NT depends entirely on your style.

I have Aces rather than slow values (Queen's and Jack's) and I like Aces in suit contracts better. So I would probably overcall 1♠.

Both are correct.

Heidi's Answer 1b

I don't like South's hand at all. They are too balanced and have Queen's and Jack's and not very many points at all.

If I had the South hand I would "Pass" my Partner's 1♠ overcall. If Partner was VERY STRONG they would have started with a "Double" to show a hand too good to overcall. So there is NO WAY we have a game with this hand.

I will support Partner later on if the Opponents bid. But I don't need to right now.

Heidi's Answer 1c

Over the 1♠ overcall a bid of 1NT by East would show 6 to 10 HCP PLUS a stopper in the suit the Opponents overcalled. So a guaranteed winner in the ♠ suit. East has the values but no stopper in the ♠ suit so they would have to "Pass" 1♠.

Suggested Auction



North
♠AK762
AT7
J8
♣A54
West
♠JT
QJ862
K975
♣KQ
East
♠954
K5
A632
♣9862
South
♠Q83
943
QT4
♣JT73

N E S W
Pass Pass 1
1♠ Pass Pass Pass


Here N/S can make 1NT but they also make 2♠. 2♠ will score better than 1NT.

No comments:

Post a Comment