Monday, January 11, 2021

Bidding Question

Hi Heidi,

How should South, with 9 winning tricks and two singletons, open the bidding? What should North, who has the A♣, respond?

All vulnerable, W is dealer:

North
♠KJT8
874
7652
♣A2
West
♠9765432
932

♣T73
East
♠A
KQJT65
9
♣KQ864
South
♠Q
A
AKQJT843
♣J95

N E S W
Pass
Pass 1 ???


Heidi's Answer

So I take it this is matchpoints. This would make a big difference to me. So I will assume matchpoints when answering the question.

First of all South will NOT be able to open the bidding. East already did that. So now South is overcalling.

What should South overcall?

Here is where it makes the difference. At matchpoints I would try just bidding 3NT.

Crazy with two singletons I know.

But how many tricks will I take when my LHO leads a ?

9 at least even if Partner has NOTHING.

That's all I need.

If this were a team game and I wanted to be a little safer I would just bid 5 and hope Partner can cover off a couple of losers. Here they do so it all works out.

I think regardless of what South bids -- 3NT or 5 -- North will just "Pass". You can make 12 tricks in on any lead but a ♣ but that's a little lucky.

Do I think East will allow South to play in 3NT? Probably not. Probably East will bid 4♣. Now, as South, I will just bid 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment