Sunday, March 28, 2021

Hand 23 - 1NT vs 1 Major

This is chapter 23 in the story of my attempt to determine if it is better to open 1♠ or 1NT with 15 to 17 HCP and a five card ♠ suit.

The journey started with this post:
Later On

Here is the twenty-third hand I generated:

North
♠JT
74
QT953
♣A764
West
♠753
KJT963
J6
♣T2
East
♠KQ4
852
K74
♣KJ83
South
♠A9862
AQ
A82
♣Q95

Dealer is South and everyone vulnerable.

Double Dummy:
3♠ can make by N/S
4 can make by N
2NT can make by S
3 can make by S
1NT can make by N
2♣ can make by N/S
1 can make by E/W


Analysis

If South opens up 1NT I think everyone else will "Pass". West is pretty weak to be coming in vulnerable. (Or even non-vulnerable!) This is where they will play.

What happens if South opens 1♠?

North will respond 1NT and I said South would "Pass" with 16 HCP.

South is better off playing in 1NT IF when North is playing 1NT East leads a . But I don't think East will. So North will also take 8 tricks in NT.

So I think this one is a draw. Really doesn't matter what South opens.

To see the table where all the hands are listed click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment