Sunday, February 21, 2021

Reverse

Note: This post contains some VERY COMPLICATED BIDDING.

Hi Heidi,

We ran into another hand below that we would appreciate your guidance.

EW vulnerable, North is dealer:

North

AK842
KQ
♣QJ9765

South
♠KT95
Q
A62
♣AKT42

With five and six ♣, should North open with 1 or 1♣?

How should NS bid the rest of the auction?

Heidi's Answer:


I like to open my LONGEST suit first unless I am worried I might not get a chance to bid my other suit because I am so weak.

Here I am definately strong enough to show both suits. I am planning on opening 1♣ and, if forced, later on reverse into my suit.

Normally this shows 17+ HCP but here I am VERY strong distributionally so I don't mind I am a couple of points short.

South will first respond 1♠ and then after North's reverse, game force with 3♣.

North can just raise ♣ and South can start to cue-bid. Once North hears about the A all they care about is the AK♣. Bidding 5NT asks about those. This does involve getting to the 6 level minimum. North must hope that South has at least one of the two top honours.

South will bid 7♣ to say they have them.

Suggested Auction:


Note that this auction involves reverses, cue-bids, Grand Slam Force and a little bit of hoping for the best. You really have to play all of these to get to the grand legitimately.

N E S W
Pass
1♣ Pass 1♠ Pass
2 Pass 3♣ Pass
4♣ Pass 4 Pass
5NT Pass 7♣ Pass
Pass Pass


For more on Reverses check out this link:
Simple Reverses
Reverses Part II
Reverses Part III
Reverses IV - Responding to a Reverse
Reverses V - Responding with FIVE in your Original Major
Reverses VI - Openers rebids when Responder has shown a five card Major
Reverses VII - Responding with SIX in your Original Major or Bidding 3NT

For more on Grand Slam Force check out this link:
Grand Slam Force

No comments:

Post a Comment