Tuesday, February 16, 2021

How to get to Slam?

Hi Heidi,

In the hand below, North has a strong hand and partner made a preemptive bid. How should North bid? Should North explore slam with this hand below? If so, how?

None vulnerable, South is dealer:

North
♠KQ
AQT54
AQ7
♣A87
West

J72
K4
♣QJT96432
East
♠T763
963
J832
♣K5
South
♠AJ98542
K8
T965

N E S W
2♠ 3♣
???


Heidi's Answer:


First of all South is just TOO strong to open 2♠. This shows a six card suit only. South has a seven card suit and a nice outside void. They should be opening 3♠ at a minimum.

Second of all West has a pretty bad overcall. But kids these days don't seem to realize that a three level overcall shows values. To be fair the ♣ suit is really long and West is short in the ♠ suit.

However North knows nothing about that. I would trust my Partner had six ♠ to the Ace at least. What are they going to lose? I also would assume West for their three level overcall probably has the red suit Kings so all my red suit finesses will win. That means Partner can set up my suit for winners. We shouldn't lose any tricks!

To be sure I might bid 4NT asking for Aces. Partner will show me one Ace and now I will just bid 7♠. Parter might have to finesse the but again I'm pretty sure West has the King since they did make that 3 level overcall.

On this hand Partner has the King so it all works out.

Suggested Auction over 2♠:


N E S W
2♠ 3♣
4NT Pass 5 Pass
7♠ Pass Pass Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment