Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Slam Bidding with a Five Card Major when Partner opens xNT

Here are some ways to bid (or investigate) slams over any NT opening hand if you have a five card major.

Note that these bids all mean the same whether or not Opener opened the bidding:
1NT to show a balanced hand with 15 to 17 HCP
2NT to show a balanced hand with 20 or 21 HCP
3NT to show a balanced hand with 25 to 27 HCP
2♣ followed by 2NT to show a balanced hand with 22 to 24 HCP or
2♣ followed by 3NT to show a balanced hand with 25 to 27 HCP

If your NT ranges are slightly different then just change the points Responder needs to make the bid. If Opener has more points, Responder needs fewer points -- that just makes sense.

NOTE: The bids in this post all assume that Responder has five card major and plays Jacoby Transfers. Responder's Hands are also very balanced so they will be inviting or forcing to slam on high card values ALONE.

Point count needed to bid a slam


With a balanced hand opposite a balanced hand you need:
33 HCP to bid a Small Slam -- You should not have only 32 HCP -- Missing 8 HCP you could be missing two Aces! Not good at the 6 level.
37 HCP to bid a Grand Slam -- You should not have only 36 HCP -- Missing 4 HCP you could be missing one Ace! Not good at the 7 level.

Quantitative 4NT showing a five card Major


If Opener opens the bidding ANY number of NT (see the five possibilities above), if Responder first transfers to their suit and then bids 4NT this invites a small slam while also showing a five card major.

Responder's values will differ for this bid because it totally depends on what range Opener has.

Point count if Opener opens 1NT showing 15 to 17 HCP

Responder would need 16 or 17 HCP to bid 4NT.

Point count if Opener opens 2NT showing 20 or 21 HCP

Responder would need 12 HCP to bid 4NT.

Point count if Opener opens 3NT showing 25 to 27 HCP

Responder would need 6 or 7 HCP to bid 4NT.

Point count if Opener opens 2♣ followed by 2NT to show a balanced hand with 22 to 24 HCP

Responder would need 9 or 10 HCP to bid 4NT.

Point count if Opener opens 2♣ followed by 3NT to show a balanced hand with 25 to 27 HCP

Responder would need 6 or 7 HCP to bid 4NT.

5NT


If Opener opens the bidding ANY number of NT (see the five possibilities above), a transfer followed by a bid of 5NT is asking Opener to pick their 6 level slam. Note that this bid is 100% FORCING!!! Responder will make this bid if they have the values for slam. However Responder does NOT know if the partnership has a major suit fit. This is how they ask while forcing Opener to bid again.

Responder's values will differ for this bid because it totally depends on what range Opener has.

Point count if Opener opens 1NT showing 15 to 17 HCP

Responder would need 18 or more HCP to bid 5NT.

Point count if Opener opens 2NT showing 20 or 21 HCP

Responder would need 13 or more HCP to bid 5NT.

Point count if Opener opens 3NT showing 25 to 27 HCP

Responder would need 8 or more HCP to bid 5NT.

Point count if Opener opens 2♣ followed by 2NT to show a balanced hand with 22 to 24 HCP

Responder would need 11 or more HCP to bid 5NT.

Point count if Opener opens 2♣ followed by 3NT to show a balanced hand with 25 to 27 HCP

Responder would need 8 or more HCP to bid 5NT.

Do you need to memorize all these point counts?


No! That is hard work. Just remember what the each of the different bids ask Partner and memorize how many points you need for a small slam and a grand slam. Then do the math.

4NT -- transferring to your five card major and then bidding 4NT asks Opener to stop below slam with a MINIMUM, bid a slam with a MAXIMUM and also asks whether or not Opener has a fit for Responder's five card major.
5NT -- asks Opener to pick their 6 level slam -- bid Responder's suit IF Opener has a fit and otherwise bid 6NT.

25 or 26 to 33 HCP -- Game only
33 HCP -- Small Slam
37 HCP -- Grand Slam

A) You know how many points Partner (Opener) has -- their opening bid told you. Perfect!
B) You know how many points you have in your hand. Just count them.

Responder should ALWAYS start with transferring Partner to their five card major! Then they can:
C) Do the math to see where you belong if Partner (Opener) has the MINIMUM of their range.
D) Do the math to see where you belong if Partner (Opener) has the MAXIMUM of the range.

If the answer is "I always want to be in a slam!" -- bid 5NT!
If the answer is "I might want to be in a small slam but I might not" -- bid 4NT!

Example 1

Here is my hand:
♠A73
KQ962
Q5
♣Q63

My Partner opens up the bidding 2NT. I know they have 20 or 21 HCP.

I count my HCP. I have 13 HCP.

If Partner has 20 HCP (their minimum), that together with my 13 HCP the partnership has 33 HCP. This is enough to bid a small slam but not enough to bid a grand slam.
If Partner has 21 HCP (their maximum), that together with my 13 HCP the partnership has 34 HCP. This is enough to bid a small slam but not enough to bid a grand slam.

So not matter how many points Partner has I know the contract belongs in a small slam. I have to force to a small slam.

Easy enough. But I do have a five card major. I will be much safer if I can find a major suit fit. How do I find out if we have a fit and also FORCE to a small slam?

First I transfer Partner to my major. I bid 3. Partner is forced to say 3. I have shown them I have at least five . Now I bid 5NT. This forces them to the 6 level. If they have a fit for my major they bid 6. If they do not have a fit for my major they bid 6NT.

Example 2

Here is my hand:
♠973
KQ962
Q5
♣863

My Partner opens up the bidding 3NT. I know they have 25 to 27 HCP.

I count my HCP. I have 7 HCP.

If Partner has 25 HCP (their minimum), that together with my 7 HCP the partnership has 32 HCP. This is enough to be in a game but NOT enough to bid a small slam. We can't quite make the small slam.
If Partner has 27 HCP (their maximum), that together with my 7 HCP the partnership has 34 HCP. This is enough to bid a small slam but not enough to bid a grand slam.

So if Partner is MINIMUM I want be playing in a game only.
However if Partner is MAXIMUM I want be playing in a small slam.

Getting a little complicated now. To make things even more complicated I also have a five card major. I will be much safer if I can find a major suit fit. How do I find out if we have a fit and also INVITE a small slam?

First I transfer to show the five card major and then I bid 4NT. The 4NT bid INVITES a small slam and the transfer showed my five card major.

Step 1: So to start with I transfer Partner to my major. I bid 4. Partner is forced to say 4. I have now shown them I have at least five .

Step 2: Now I bid 4NT. This INVITES them to the 6 level and also shows only a five card major.

What will Partner do?

If they have a fit for my major they bid either 5 (showing a MINIMUM) or 6 (showing a MAXIMUM).

If they do not have a fit for my major they either "Pass" (showing a MINIMUM) or bid 6NT (showing a MAXIMUM).

Suggested Bidding Example 1

North
♠KQJ
AQJ3
J942
♣K7

South
♠A7
KT854
AQ5
♣AJ4

Suggested Bidding:
North South
1NT 2
2 5NT
6 Pass


North has a balanced hand with 15 to 17 HCP. They open the bidding 1NT.

South has 18 HCP and knows the partnership belongs in a small slam. But they have a five card major.

South starts with 2 which shows that they have at least a five card suit.

North is forced to say 2.

South now commits the partnership to a small slam by bidding 5NT. This basically asks North if they have a fit or not.

North does have a fit so bids 6.

South says "Pass", happy they have found their fit.

Suggested Bidding Example 2

North
♠KQJ
AQJ3
KJ42
♣KQ

South
♠75
KT854
AQ5
♣864

Suggested Bidding:
North South
2♣ 2
2NT 3
3 4NT
5 Pass


North has a balanced hand with 22 to 24 HCP. They start by opening the bidding 2♣ to show a strong hand.

South has a nice hand but their suit is not good enough to respond anything but 2.

North bids 2NT to now show a balanced hand with exactly 22 to 24 HCP.

South starts with 3 which shows that they have at least a five card suit.

North is forced to say 3.

South now INVITES the partnership to a small slam by bidding 4NT. This asks North if they have a fit or not and also asks whether or not North is MINIMUM or MAXIMUM.

North does have a fit but is MINIMUM so bids 5.

South says "Pass", trusting that Partner is right. Good thing they did since they are off two Aces!

Want some practice on slam bidding?

First of all you need a Partner. Grab your favourite Partner and ask them to bid with you.

To start with you click on the link to get to the North hands. Click HERE to get the North hands!

Tell your Partner to click on the link to get to the South hands. Click HERE to get the South hands!

North will start the bidding. They can open whatever they want. (Hint: Since these are balanced hand slams North will be opening some number of NTs if they play the same ranges as above.)

Once North bids, South will make a bid.

Back to North to make another bid

Back to South to make another bid

and so on until ONE person says "Pass"

the auction ends and you have arrived in your contract.

If you would like to see the auction I suggest please click HERE.

Enjoy!!!

Please leave a comment if you find the bidding hands useful. I can make more if people are enjoying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment