Friday, July 17, 2020

Question 2

Hi Heidi,

We encountered a number of challenging hands (to us) in bidding lately. Please provide us some insight:

I'm not certain how to ask for Aces, use Blackwood or Gerber, when the Club suit was the last bid suit before a NT was bid afterwards. For example:

What should S bid to ask for Aces?

What does bidding of 4C vs 4NT means to N?

How to best bid the following hand? Is the above a good start?

NS vulnerable, N is dealer:

W N E S
1 Pass 2♣
Pass 2NT Pass ???


North
♠A84
KQT7
KQ32
♣92
West
♠K632
52
984
♣JT87
East
♠JT95
J964
J5
♣543
South
♠Q7
A83
AT76
♣AKQ6


Heidi's Answer

I like the auction so far. North cannot show their four card suit in the auction because that would create a game force so therefore they must rebid 2NT. But they do have the rest of the suits stopped so 2NT is a fine bid over 2♣. This 2NT bid show a MINIMUM opening hand and South is allowed to "Pass". North has a balanced hand with less than 15 HCP. Perfect.

So what does South do over 2NT?

They have choices:

1) Make a QUANTITATIVE 4NT bid

4NT is this auction says "Partner are you MINIMUM or MAXIMUM for your 2NT bid? With a minimum, "Pass". With a maximum bid 6NT.

The reason why this is quantitative is because the last bid in the auction (2NT) was a natural NT bid with a point count associated with it. In this auction the 2NT bid showed about 12 to 14 HCP. A minimum opening hand for North.

2) Gerber

Since the last bid in the auction (2NT) was a natural NT bid, a jump to 4♣ would be Gerber. Gerber asks "Just how many Aces do you have over there Partner?"

3) Bid 6NT

Partner has an opening bid, South has 19 HCP. There must be a slam!

What do I think of all the different bids South could make?


1) 4NT

I like this bid. Partner could have 12 HCP. I'm too balanced to want to be in a slam with that hand. I want Partner to have either 14 HCP or a really good 13 HCP. This is how I ask.

2) 4♣

I don't really care if Partner has the one Ace I am missing or not. That won't help me at all.

Why does this not help you Heidi? Don't you need to know about a ♠ control before you bid the slam?

If Partner opened with 12 HCP and has the one Ace I am missing I have all four Aces but together we have only 31 HCP between us. We simply won't have enough tricks. Sure we will get four Aces. But that's four tricks only. I need more. I need fillers. With 31 HCP I could be missing two Kings and a Queen. That's not good. There is too much potential to lose two tricks that way.

But if Partner opened with 14 HCP and no Aces we will have 33 HCP and should have enough tricks to make the small slam. Sure the opponents will take their Ace but I should have enough values to take 12 tricks after that. There will be only three points missing. If I am lucky I will be missing three Jacks. Those should drop. If I am unlucky I will be missing a King. Maybe I can finesse it.

As for the Spade control -- assuming Partner will accept with 14 HCP and I have 19 HCP. That means together we have 33 HCP. Partner rates to have a ♠ control. Sure technically we could be off SPECIFICALLY the AK♠ and the Opponents can take two tricks right off the top. But then they have to lead a ♠. They might not know to lead a ♠ if I am so unlucky to be missing those exact specific cards.

It is a bit of a risk but life is not without risk.

3) 6NT

I feel I am just hanging Partner out to dry for opening the bidding if I do this. If Partner opened on 12 HCP we just don't have enough points to make a small slam.

What will North do over 4NT?


North is MAXIMUM for their bid. They have 14 HCP. They will raise 4NT to 6NT. The final contract will be 6NT.

Will 6NT make?


Sadly I don't think North will be able to take 12 tricks in NT. They have 11 easy tricks but no way to get a 12th trick. If East leads a low then North can duck it around to their Ten of and get an easy trick that way to make their slam. But East has a nice TOP of SEQUENCE lead -- the J♠. They will probably lead that.

Any lead but a and North should go down in the slam.

No comments:

Post a Comment