Wednesday, July 29, 2020

1C - 1D - 1H - 1S???

The following question pertains to the auction:

S W N E
1♣ Pass 1 Pass
1 Pass 1♠???

Question 1

You mentioned the use of 1♠ to force partner to bid another round even when one does not have ♠. What are some scenarios that one would choose to do that? Is it usually when one has a big hand? How would one follow-on from there?

Answer to Question 1


In this auction if Responder (North in this auction) bids 1♠ and they do not have four ♠ they would have a nicer hand, yes. They would not make this bid without at least 11 HCP or more. But keep in mind that they also could have a weak hand with four ♠. They generally want support OR they want Opener (South in this auction) to bid the NT if they have a ♠ stopper. (Note that they need a ♠ stopper because this is the unbid suit.) Remember Opener could have a void in ♠ for all Responder knows and if Responder has no ♠ stopper they could be in big trouble in NT!

So IF Responder does not have four ♠ they are looking for a ♠ stopper for NT and should have 11 or more HCP. With no stopper and a weaker hand Responder just bids the 1NT anyhow.

Some Hands


Let's look at some hands.

Hand 1:
♠862
AQ7
AQ654
♣K3

Here I have an opening hand. I want to be in a game. We don't have a fit. I'd like to jump to 3NT but Partner could have two small ♠. Or even a void. 3NT won't do so well now! I bid 1♠ and hope Partner bids 1NT. Now I can safely bid 3NT.


Hand 2:
♠J85
T8
KQ852
♣KQ5

On this hand I want to bid 2NT to show my 11 or 12 HCP. But again I have no ♠ stopper. If I bid 1♠ and Partner bids 1NT I will raise to 2NT.


Hand 3:
♠982
63
QT876
♣AT5

On this hand I will bid 1NT. Note that I do NOT have a ♠ stopper. But I don't need to have a ♠ stopper when I bid only 1NT. I should have a ♠ stopper for bidding 2NT or 3NT since they are higher contracts. But on this hand I am too weak to force Partner to bid with a 1♠ bid.


Hand 4:
♠K862
83
Q9762
♣J3

On this hand I will bid 1♠. Here I am weak but I do have four ♠.

Question 2

I noticed some people make "bidding the fourth suit" game forcing, is this a convention you would subscribe to?

Answer to Question 2


Fourth suit forcing to game is a part of a bidding system called "2 Over 1 Game Forcing". This is a lovely bidding system that I do play and I do like. It puts an artificial game force on auctions so that you can explore slam possibilities without having to worry about getting passed out below game.

HOWEVER this is part of a new and different language. Which means different bids can mean different things. It is a whole new language to learn.

People NEED to know just straight Standard American. Quite a few auctions are just straight Standard American auctions. When the Opponents bid all auctions revert back to basic Standard American. You NEED to know Standard American.

You don't need to know 2 Over 1 Game Forcing.

But it is much easier to describe certain hands if you play 2 Over 1 GF.

If you have no memory issues and can take the time and trouble to memorize a whole new system I do recommend it.

However most people shouldn't be playing it. It's just not worth the effort.

If people look at their game and wonder why they lost matchpoints I can almost guarantee is wasn't because you didn't know 2 Over 1 GF. It is more likely Defence or Declarer Play. If you missed something in the bidding it is more likely someone misbid or evaluated their hand badly. Or perhaps they just didn't know basic Standard American. Very few hands need 2 Over 1 GF to get to the right contract. Not compared to knowing Defence and Declarer Play.

So if you and your Partner can read system notes and commit them to memory quite easily -- yes, learn 2 Over 1 GF.

Otherwise spend your learning time on something more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment