Saturday, July 25, 2020

1C - 1D - 1H - ???

The following blog post pertains to the auction:

S W N E
1♣ Pass 1 Pass
1 Pass ???

The Question

I would like to start with a general question on responding to partner's rebid at 1 level. My understanding it that South's 1 bid is not a forcing bid. If my understanding is correct, can North "Pass" with a minimum hand and no fit to either suits partner has bid? Furthermore, what would lead North, who has a minimum hand, to bid "1NT" versus "Pass"?

The Answer


Yes. North CAN PASS the 1 bid. South's 1 bid is NOT forcing. This is a new suit by OPENER, not Responder, so a new suit is NOT forcing.

However, South could have a minimum opening hand but South could also have up to 18 or even a bad 19 HCP (High Card Points) to make this bid so North should make another call unless they are very weak for their response or the hand looks like a misfit.

Can North "Pass" with no fit?

No. South probably only has four . If North has only two they want to make some other bid.

So North does have to have at least have some tolerance to "Pass" the 1 bid. (Tolerance is a three card suit. A fit would be a four card suit.)

When would North "Pass" versus bid 1NT?

If North has a fit and a weak hand they will just "Pass".

If North has some tolerance (three card support) and a hand that does NOT want to be played in NT they can just "Pass" if they are weak.

If North has no tolerance they have to make another call.

If they are balanced(ish) they can bid 1NT.

If they are unbalanced maybe they can support ♣? They might only have four ♣ to do this. Which means they might not have found a fit since South could have opened with only a three card suit. But North could be stuck.

Some Hands


Let's look at some hands.

Hand 1:
♠9532
QT5
KQ543
♣7

This is a hand I would PASS 1. My Partner doesn't like my suit. If I bid 1♠ I am forcing my Partner to bid again and if they don't have four ♠ we are just going to get higher in the bidding. I don't want to play in NT because of my singleton. I am going to stop this auction because I am so weak and we could be in trouble.


Hand 2:
♠95
52
KJ864
♣Q732

On this hand however I will bid 2♣. Partner can "Pass" this bid if they want. I could choose to bid 1NT but I don't have the ♠ suit stopped so I would prefer not to do that. I can't Pass 1 because I only have two .


Hand 3:
♠K742
92
Q9863
♣J7

On this hand I will bid 1♠. It is a forcing bid however what are my options? I don't like either of Partner's suits. Maybe Partner can raise me or bid 1NT themselves.


Hand 4:
♠K82
983
Q9762
♣QT

On this hand I will bid 1NT. I have the ♠ stopped and my hand is balanced. We don't have a fit and Partner will not get to trump anything in my Dummy.


Hand 5:
♠86
6532
KJ652
♣Q3

On this hand I will just "Pass" 1. We do have a fit but I have bad trump and a weak hand. If we were going to make a game Partner would have make a JUMP SHIFT. My hand is just not good enough to make game even if Partner has 18 or 19 points.


Hand 6:
♠74
K972
A9762
♣54

On this hand I will bid 2. This still shows only 6 to 10 points however if I am very weak I can always "Pass" 1 with support so I should have a little something for bidding 2. I feel I do. I have two doubletons and an outside Ace. Partner could make a game if they have 18 points so I'd better take one more call to keep the auction open.


Hand 7:
♠T4
AJ8
J7652
♣T76

On this hand I will probably just "Pass" 1. I hate this hand. I don't have a fit but I don't want to bid 1NT because I don't have much elsewhere. Maybe Partner can trump a ♠. Sure can't rebid that suit. Better just drop Partner before we get too high.


Hand 8:
♠KJ8
65
Q7652
♣J65

On this hand I will probably bid 1NT. I've got the ♠ stopped and a balanced hand.


Hand 9:
♠Q4
K2
87653
♣Q762

On this hand I will probably bid 2♣. I don't want to bid 1NT because of my ♠ suit and I certainly can't "Pass" 1.


Hand 10:
♠T32
95
KQ863
♣QT5

On this hand I will probably bid 1NT. This is the worst hand I think. I've got no ♠ stopper but I can't "Pass" 1 with only a doubleton (Partner probably has four only) and I don't want to bid 2♣ with only a three card suit. Partner might only have a three card suit. I feel my aren't strong enough to rebid them. So 1NT it is -- even without the ♠ stopper. .

2 comments:

  1. "Yes. North CAN PASS the 1♥ bid. South's 1♥ bid is NOT forcing. This is a new suit by OPENER, not Responder, so a new suit is NOT forcing. "

    You wanted to say "Yes. SOUTH CAN PASS the 1♥ bid" and not North?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I did. I just changed the directions in the auction to match the reply.

      Delete