Wednesday, August 17, 2016

What to Open?

Here's a hand that came up the other day.

You hold this hand:
♠K6
K
AKJ87
♣AKJ42

You are Dealer and get to open the bidding. What is your bid?

Most people counted their HCP (High Card Points) and opened the bidding 2♣. This says nothing about their ♣ suit and just says they have a BIG hand -- normally 22 or more points.

It is true that you have 22 or more points if you count that singleton K for full value.

The thing about opening 2♣ is that unless you rebid 2NT to show a balanced hand with 22 to 24 points you are GOING TO GAME. That's right. Once you open 2♣ you have pretty much put a game force on the auction even if Partner has NOTHING with NO FIT for you. Which Partner can easily have.

So back to this hand:
♠K6
K
AKJ87
♣AKJ42

If Partner has absolutely NO points and NO fit for either of your minors do you want to be in game?

Say they have something like this:
♠75432
876543
2
♣3

Do you want to be in game if Partner has that hand?

No.

Once you open the bidding 2♣ is there any way to stop below game once you show your two suits?

No.

Then you shouldn't open the bidding 2♣. Once you open 2♣ and then bid a suit this guarantees you want to be in game even if Partner has nothing.

Why?

Well if you needed Partner to have a little something in order to make a game then you would just open the bidding 1 of your suit. That way if Partner has nothing they can Pass and you won't get too high.

With distributional hands with two suits it is easier to open the bidding 1 of your suit and then rebid your other suit. Remember if Partner has 5 or 6 points they will respond to your opening bid. Then you can make forcing bids in order to get to your game.

So on this hand:
♠K6
K
AKJ87
♣AKJ42

Let's say you open the bidding 1. What can happen?

If Partner has to say Pass to your opening bid you are not making a game so you are better off playing in 1 rather than getting too high.

If Partner responds to your opening bid of 1 with (say) 1 you can now make a JUMP SHIFT. You can bid 3♣. This shows five , four ♣ and a hand that now wants to force to game. After all once Partner responds you know they have at least 5 or 6 points and together with your 22 points you do have enough for game.

I once held this hand:
♠-
-
AKQ8753
♣AKQ842

A very nice hand. I DID want to go to game (actually slam) even if Partner had NO points and NO fit. But did I open 2♣? No. I just opened the bidding 1. I figured someone would bid some major suit at some level. Then it was easy for me to show a big hand that wanted to be in slam by bidding a slam in 7♣. Let Partner choose. My should be longer since I opened them first.

The problem with opening 2♣ is those pesky opponents. What happens if I open 2♣ and then my LHO bids 4♠. My Partner Passes and my RHO bids 6♠. Now I have no idea what to do. I can't show both my suits now. I can't even double because I might not have one trick in my hand if we play in ♠! But if I open 1 and they bid up to 6♠ I can now bid 7♣. Let Partner choose what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment