Monday, October 12, 2020

Question for Heidi

Hi Heidi,

Can one use Michael's with a strong hand?

If I have a strong hand with 5-5 Major-Minor distribution that fits the Michael's convention, should I still bid Michael's? Like this hand below:

All non-vulnerable, W is dealer:

North
♠2
KQJ87
A8
♣AK742
West
♠AKQ9753
A4
Q53
♣3
East
♠64
53
KJT932
♣986
South
♠JT8
T962
76
♣QJT5

West opens the bidding 1♠. Can North bid 2♠?

Heidi's Answer


The Michaels convention is a direct cuebid of the Opponent's suit. It shows a distributional two suited hand.

So if my RHO opens 1 of a minor and I bid 2 of that same minor I am showing at least five cards in both majors.

If my RHO opens 1 of a major and I bid 2 of that same major I am showing at least five cards in the OTHER major along with a undisclosed minor suit holding of at least five cards.

What is the point count required to make this bid?

Totally dependent on partnership agreement. Some people will make this bid on not much at all as a kind of "preempt". Others think it should be more constructive. Some play something called "Mini-Max" that says they are either really weak or really strong. In any case you can definitely make this bid with a strong hand so Michaels is an option on this hand for sure.

Would I bid 2♠ on this hand?

Sure, I'm good with that as long as you are prepared to raise Partner's 3 response to 4 to show your big hand.

Partner could have nothing but if they have a fit and have one nice card for you the partnership should be able to make a game.

Now it all depends on whether or not West will let you play it there. You can bet they are going to bid at least 3♠. Will they bid 4♠? Unclear. But I wouldn't let you play in 4 with the West hand. Not when I am not vulnerable.

No comments:

Post a Comment