Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Forcing or Invitational?

Here is a hand I observed in last Tuesday's novice game. Let's see if anyone can bid this right.

This is the hand:

♠KQT92
KT72
K8
♣Q5

You the Dealer and you get to open the bidding. You have 13 HCP so you decide to open the bidding 1♠. Now Partner says 2♣. Your bid?

The correct bid on this hand would be 2. You have a 4 card suit you need to tell Partner about. Now Partner says 3♠. What is your bid?

Hmmmmmm. If someone gave this question to me I wouldn't be able to answer. It's actually a tough question not because it is a tough decision for me to make, but because I have NO IDEA whether or not that 3♠ bid is FORCING or not.

Back when I was a kid, all jump bids were forcing. So historically the 3♠ bid from Partner WOULD be FORCING. I would have to bid again. Since it is forcing I'd bid 4♠ and we'd be in game.

However modern methods have taught that this bid is INVITATIONAL. Not forcing. (If the hand wants to force to game they just bid it themselves!) So I can Pass this bid if I am minimum for my opener. Which I am. So if this bid is invitational, I have an easy Pass.

Anyhow, the person said Pass and Partner meant it as FORCING. They missed a game.

The other hand was:

♠A85
AQ9
T43
♣K974

Anyhow these are the things you need to discuss with Partner because it is so easy to misunderstand what Partner means during an auction.

Do YOU know if your Partner would mean that as FORCING or INVITATIONAL?

No comments:

Post a Comment