Monday, July 11, 2016

Bidding in a Standard American 2/1 Auction

Let's try more of those rebids by Responder.

This one I will walk you through since I have not taught you very many of the implications covered here. Bridge is complicated enough!

This is my hand:

Hand
♠KJ54
-
K76
♣AQJ987

Partner opened 1. My turn to bid. What do you think I will bid?

Here I will bid 2♣. This shows 10 or more HCP (which I have) and says I have at least 4♣ (which I have).

This does NOT deny having a 4 card major. If I bid a major later on (which I probably will) it just shows I had more ♣ since I bid them first. Which is true.

So now let's look at what happens when Partner bids. 2♣ is a FORCING bid so I KNOW Partner will bid again.

So say Partner bids 2. This is a FORCING bid for me. I MUST bid again. Once I bid a new suit at the 2 level I am committed to bidding again unless my Partner raises my suit 1 level OR bids 2NT. So that means if Partner had bid 3♣ I would be allowed to Pass or if Partner had bid 2NT I would be allowed to Pass. Any other bid from Partner and I must bid again at least once.

However I am happy to do that. Believe it or not Partner's bid does not deny having 4♠. If Partner in this auction was to bid 2♠ instead of 2 this is a GAME FORCING bid. We must go to game even if I have my minimum 10 HCP. So Partner with a minimum opening bid might not be able to tell me about their 4♠.

So after my Partner's 2 bid I will bid 2♠. This does several things.

1) It tells Partner we are going to game. A reverse bid by Responder is GAME FORCING. This allows me to stay lower in the bidding in order for us to find a fit.
2) It tells Partner I have 4♠. That is all I need in order to bid the suit.
3) It tells Partner my ♣ are longer than my ♠. If they were the same length I would have bid my ♠ first.
On this auction if Partner were to now bid 2NT I will bid 3.

Is 3 forcing on this auction?

Absolutely! I made a game forcing bid with 2♠. We are not in game. Partner MUST bid again. Who knows what will happen now but I have shown my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment