Thursday, June 2, 2016

Rebidding when you have a fit for Partner's Major and can count Distribution points

When I open the bidding 1 of a minor and Partner responds with 1 of a major the first thing I want to do as Opener is to support Partner's major. Since Partner only promised 4 in their suit, I need 4 in order to support them. If I have a fit I can now count Distribution points.

Shortness Points
Useful void 5 points
Useful singleton 3 points
Useful doubleton 1 point


Check out these posts for more detailed information on Distribution points:
Distribution Points
Distribution - Counting Shortness with Honors

To support Partner's major I also need to show them whether or not I have just a minimum opening hand, a better than opening hand or a hand that wants to game force it's SO good. I can show this by raising them 1 level, raising them 2 levels or bidding game in their major.

Table to show what the different responses mean. Remember points includes HCP (High Card Points) and also Dummy points.
Opener Responder
1 minor 1 major
2 Partner's major This says partner, I have a minimum opening hand -- about 13 to 16 points.
3 Partner's major This says partner, I have a better than opening hand -- about 17 or 18 points.
4 Partner's major This says partner, I have a MOOSE -- about 19 to 21 points since I am bidding game when you only show 6 points.


Check out this post for more practice on raising Partner's major without using Dummy points:
Rebidding when you have a fit for Partner's Major

Another tip. Balanced 18 HCP points. Look at this hand:
♠KQ8
♥KQJ2
♦KJ86
♣K7

Very nice hand. I will open the bidding 1♦ because I am too strong to open 1NT. Partner responds 1♥. I have a fit so now I can count Dummy points. Since I have 18 HCP and 1 Dummy point this brings my total to 19 points and I should therefore bid a game. Nice in theory, but not so good in practice. Opposite a balanced 6 HCP hand I don't want to be in game. Experience has shown me that with a balanced 18 HCP I should NOT count an extra point and bid game. Bidding 3♥ shows a very nice hand. Partner will raise on 8 points. If Partner has to say "Pass" to 3♥ we probably shouldn't be in game. So don't count extras for any doubletons if you have 18 HCP with a balanced hand.

So with ALL that in mind on each of the following hands I opened the bidding 1♦. Partner then bid 1♥. I have a fit for Partner's ♥ since I have 4 of them. Since we will play in ♥ I will be Dummy and can now count Dummy points. What do I do on the following hands?

Hand 1

♠K98
♥KQJ2
♦JT86
♣A7



Hand 2

♠QT95
♥KQJ3
♦AQ97
♣T



Hand 3

♠A543
♥AQJ7
♦AQ87
♣4



Hand 4

♠K6
♥KT86
♦KQJ6
♣Q72



Hand 5

♠KQ97
♥KQ76
♦AQJ8
♣2



Hand 6

♠KT
♥K643
♦T543
♣AK2



Hand 7

♠KT
♥KQJ8
♦KQ62
♣KJ6



Hand 8

♠542
♥A874
♦AKQ9
♣62



Hand 9

♠KJ3
♥A983
♦AQ32
♣65



Hand 10

♠J9
♥KQ97
♦J863
♣AK2



Hand 11

♠AJ8
♥KT93
♦KQ53
♣97



Hand 12

♠32
♥QJ64
♦AK64
♣AT2



Hand 13

♠K6
♥AK95
♦KJ63
♣AT2



Hand 14

♠AK2
♥AT87
♦Q543
♣87



Hand 15

♠AT5
♥KJ73
♦Q984
♣A2



Hand 16

♠KJ8
♥KT62
♦AQ72
♣32



Hand 17

♠Q2
♥K963
♦AK63
♣QT3



Hand 18

♠KT6
♥A865
♦QJ93
♣A8



Hand 19

♠AK42
♥AT43
♦KQ72
♣T



Hand 20

♠87
♥AKQ8
♦KJ94
♣JT7



Hand 21

♠A4
♥AKQ4
♦AT73
♣Q74



Hand 22

♠AQJ2
♥K852
♦AT98
♣6



Hand 23

♠Q2
♥AQT7
♦A764
♣AQ5



Hand 24

♠AK82
♥T985
♦AK83
♣T



Hand 25

♠AQT2
♥AT93
♦AK74
♣7



Hand 26

♠A6
♥QJ97
♦AQ65
♣AJ8



Hand 27

♠976
♥AK93
♦AKJ6
♣QJ



Hand 28

♠AK83
♥KJ87
♦KT76
♣8



Hand 29

♠A3
♥K653
♦9875
♣AK6



Hand 30

♠AK52
♥A864
♦KJ97
♣4



Hand 31

♠AJ
♥J854
♦K874
♣KQT



Hand 32

♠Q65
♥AJT3
♦AT97
♣K7



Hand 33

♠KQJ4
♥QJ73
♦AKJ4
♣4



Hand 34

♠AQ5
♥KT86
♦AJ82
♣85



No comments:

Post a Comment