Monday, October 24, 2016

Take Out Double -- Responding when the Opponents Bid and you have their Suit!

Please read these posts to learn about the take out double.
Introducing the Take Out Double
Take Out Double -- Responding when the Opponents Bid and you have a Weakish hand
Take Out Double -- Responding when the Opponents Bid and you have an Intermediate Strength Hand

Sometimes the opponents can be sneaky. Sometimes they can bid the suit that YOU were going to bid. Don't let them get away with that!

Take this hand:
♠Q3
KJT8
AKJT5
♣84

My LHO opens the bidding 1 and my Partner Doubles. Just as I am wondering whether I should play in 3NT or 4 my RHO bids 1. Now at this point I don't know if they are trying to stop us from bidding our 4 game or if they genuinely have their bid. But I don't care either. I am going to DOUBLE them. This is a PENALTY DOUBLE. I am saying "I do NOT think you are making this contract" and also let's Partner know that I have . Remember Partner should have at least three for their Take Out Double. Now at this point I expect the opponents to start to scurry around trying to find their best contract.

Guess what? They don't have one.

My Partner has all the suits but . I have the well covered. My Partner has an opening hand. So do I. They opponents have NO FIT and NO POINTS. Last time they mess with our auction!

Now keep in mind that you have to have a pretty good hand to start to double the opponents at the 1 level. You also have to defend pretty well so if you are not a very good defender you'd better have more high cards.

Some people might tell you that Double in that auction shows the other major. This is incorrect (unless you and your Partner agree to that of course.) After all if you have the other major you can always just bid it. Nothing stopping you.

So with that in mind what will you do on the following hands if LHO opens 1, Partner Doubles and RHO bids 1. What is your bid?

Hand 1

♠842
Q853
Q753
♣42



Hand 2

♠Q3
KJT8
AKJT5
♣84



Hand 3

♠KQ85
QT74
962
♣42



Hand 4

♠754
AQ98
J652
♣93



Hand 5

♠T5
AQT8
KQT98
♣Q9



Hand 6

♠92
QT74
K543
♣T64



No comments:

Post a Comment