Friday, October 7, 2016

Playing in a 5-3 Fit rather than a 4-4 Fit

Check out the post from yesterday first.
http://heidisbridgeblog.blogspot.ca/2016/10/playing-in-4-4-heart-fit.html

Contract is 6♠
Lead is the A♣

It really helps to understand how to play a hand if you actually play it out. Grab a deck of cards and play along rather than just reading about it. See if you can figure out how to make this contract on your own first.

Dummy
♠KQ8
AK53
9652
♣J8

Declarer:
♠AJT54
QJ72
AK4
♣6

So I have arrived in a contract of 6♠.

Dummy is quite nice. Since it is a trump contract I need to count my LOSERS. I can count losers from either hand. Normally I would do the hand with the longest trump so I think I'll count the losers in my hand.

♠0 losers
0 losers
1 loser
♣1 loser

Hmmmm. I have to figure out how to get rid of my losing . Any ideas? Let's see how this plays out.

The opponents start by winning the A♣. Then they switch to a low . I'm not allowed to lose ANY more tricks so I must win my A.

Now I take out trump. Luckily they split nicely. One opponent had two trump and the other had three trump. Now what?

Dummy

AK53
965
♣J

Declarer:
♠JT
QJ72
K4


Any idea how to get rid of that loser yet? Hmmmm. Let's play a few more tricks.

That suit is good. How about I play on that suit. They are all winner's so I just play them out. Here's what I have now:



965
♣J

Declarer:
♠JT

K4


My K will win a trick BUT I still need to lose a . I did NOT get rid of my loser.

Here are the four hands.

Dummy
♠KQ8
AK53
9652
♣J8
LHO
♠73
86
T873
♣AK543
RHO
♠962
T94
QJ
♣QT972
Declarer
♠AJT54
QJ72
AK4
♣6


What's up with this? I played the same hand yesterday and took 12 tricks with as trump. This time I only took 11 tricks with ♠ as trump. What was the big difference? Why did I take one more trick with as trump?

No comments:

Post a Comment