Friday, November 4, 2016

Responding to a Take Out Double by Cuebidding the Opponents Suit! Part II

Please read these posts to learn about the take out double.
Introducing the Take Out Double
Responding to a Take Out Double with an Opening Hand
Responding to a Take Out Double with a Six Card Major
Responding to a Take Out Double with a Balanced Hand and the Opponents Suit Stopped
Responding to a Take Out Double by Cuebidding the Opponents Suit!

After Partner's take out double do we only make a cuebid when we want to play in 4 of a major?

No. Take this hand:
♠KJT2
♥QT2
♦83
♣AQT9

If Partner doubles my LHO opponents opening 1♣ bid I KNOW we want to be in game. But again I am not sure what game we want to play in. Partner could have doubled on either of these hands:

Hand A Hand B
♠A863
♥KJ83
♦A964
♣4
♠A86
♥KJ63
♦A964
♣54


If Partner doubled on Hand A I want to play in 4♠. We have a 4-4 fit. If Partner doubled on Hand B I want to play in 3NT. We do not have a fit in ♠ so I do not want to play there. But I do want to play in game and 3NT should be the best game. How do I ever guess correctly?

You don't guess. You ASK Partner. You CUEBID the opponents suit. So on this hand I will bid 2♣. That IN NO WAY means I want to play in 2♣. Remember Partner doesn't have ♣. If I have lots and lots of ♣ I'll just Pass and let my LHO play in 1♣ Doubled. This bid just asks Partner to bid their four card major. Plus it lets Partner know we are going to game so I don't have to worry about Partner Passing when I don't want them to.

Keep in mind that sometimes we KNOW where we want to play. No need to cuebid then. Just bid the game you want to play in.

On all these hand LHO opens 1♣, Partner Doubles and RHO Passes. What is your bid? If you choose to cuebid, what games are you interested in playing in?

Hand 1

♠AT32
♥J85
♦K3
♣AQ43



Hand 2

♠Q862
♥AK93
♦97
♣A63



Hand 3

♠AJ54
♥JT75
♦A3
♣A72



Hand 4

♠QT7
♥AK94
♦J3
♣KJT8



Hand 5

♠AK94
♥J842
♦98
♣AK8



Hand 6

♠QJ42
♥Q4
♦Q97
♣AK94



Hand 7

♠AK92
♥QJ7
♦98
♣AJT6



Hand 8

♠AKJT
♥T942
♦AT4
♣J6



Hand 9

♠J8752
♥A2
♦K64
♣AJ5



Hand 10

♠A74
♥AJ83
♦87
♣AJT5



Hand 11

♠QJ7
♥AK92
♦98
♣AJT6



Hand 12

♠AJT5
♥AJ83
♦87
♣A74



Hand 13

♠KQ9
♥KT85
♦Q4
♣KQT2



Hand 14

♠AKQJ
♥QJ42
♦Q97
♣T4



Hand 15

♠A763
♥AQJ3
♦54
♣A83



Hand 16

♠AKT62
♥A7
♦AT
♣6532



Hand 17

♠AJ83
♥A74
♦87
♣AJT5



Hand 18

♠KJT653
♥T5
♦A76
♣KT



Hand 19

♠Q53
♥AT32
♦K3
♣AQ43



Hand 20

♠Q4
♥QJ42
♦Q97
♣AK94



Hand 21

♠KJT8
♥AKQ4
♦43
♣T73



Hand 22

♠KT98
♥KQJ6
♦83
♣A86



Hand 23

♠76
♥AJ642
♦K94
♣A85



Hand 24

♠Q3
♥KQ85
♦QT4
♣AQ97



Hand 25

♠KT85
♥K95
♦Q4
♣KQT2



Hand 26

♠KQ85
♥Q3
♦QT4
♣AQ97



Hand 27

♠KT62
♥AKQ9
♦98
♣J72



Hand 28

♠AK94
♥QT7
♦43
♣AJT8



Hand 29

♠4
♥AQJT873
♦Q64
♣75



Hand 30

♠KQT2
♥KT85
♦J4
♣A95



Hand 31

♠A9753
♥KJ9
♦AJ4
♣62



Hand 32

♠AQ43
♥AT32
♦K3
♣853



No comments:

Post a Comment