Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Question for Heidi

Hi Heidi,

Question Part 1


I have trouble with bidding big hands and I particularly don't know what to do after partner responded to my 2♣ opening. Any suggestion so we can better place our contracts?

Heidi's Answer Part 1


I looked to see if I had anything on my blog and I did NOT have that much. I will put that on my list of things to blog about. Perhaps even some big hands for you and Partner to bid together. (I'm full of plans!)

Here's a start:
Strong Balanced Hand Bidding
Slam Bidding with a Five Card Major when Partner opens xNT

Question Part 2


If my partner responds 2 to my 2♣ opening, is my rebid a forcing bid, unless it is NT?

Heidi's Answer Part 2


ABSOLUTELY! You open 2♣ and bid a suit to show a hand that wants Partner to bid even with NO POINTS! So if you open 2♣ and partner responds 2 and you bid 2♠ you WANT them to bid again with NOTHING! If you needed them to have points to make a game you'd have just opened 1♠. You open 2♣ originally to force them to bid.

How far do they have to bid?

This depends on partnership agreement. If I open 2♣ and rebid a suit I am saying "I WANT to go to game even if you've got NOTHING!"

If I need something from them to make a game I just open 1 of the suit. That way if they have something they respond and I can easily put a game force on the auction.

If I open 1 of the suit and they "Pass" well that's okay too. We didn't get too high.

Note that this means I will make sure my 2♣ suit rebids are VERY STRONG. Not necessarily just 22+ HCP. I also have a strong suit and either good shape or more values.

Something like this hand:
♠AK
KQJT85
5
♣AKQ8

Only 22 HCP but if Partner has absolutely NOTHING I still want to be in a game.

So they'd better not "Pass" me once I've opened 2♣ and rebid 2!

However something like this hand:
♠AK8
K8652
AK
♣KQ8

is different.

This hand I would not open 2♣ in order to rebid my suit. My suit is terrible and I do need a little something from Partner to make a game.

So I would open 2♣ and just rebid 2NT. This shows 22 to 24 HCP with a balanced hand. Partner IS allowed to "Pass" with nothing.

But that one I am balanced and can bid NT.

What about this hand?
♠KJ543
AQ62
AKQ
♣K

This hand I am unbalanced and would prefer not to open with NT because I do have 9 cards in the majors. But I also don't want to open 2♣ and rebid 2♠ because my suit is pretty bad and if Partner has no ♠ fit and no points I just don't want to be in a game.

So I will open 1♠.

If Partner responds 1NT to show a weak hand I will bid 3 and commit the partnership to game.

But if Partner passes 1♠ I am probably safe and happy playing there.

Word of Caution!

Make sure you and your partner are on the same wavelength. Not everyone plays a suit rebid as forcing to game.

No comments:

Post a Comment