Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Question for Heidi

Heidi,
I have a question concerning a board I have played this week.

Dealer South:

North
♠ J982
A7
QJ83
♣ J92

South
♠ KQ75
KJT98
10
♣ Q64


Auction:
N E S W
Pass 1
Pass Pass 1♠ 2NT
Pass Pass Pass


Should South have overcalled (after Wests 1 bid) 1 instead of 1♠?

Is it correct that North have passed after 2NT from West?

Thank you

Heidi's Answer


So if I have this right South originally started with a "Pass" (doesn't matter if they did or didn't) and then South's LHO (West) opened the bidding 1. North passed as did West's partner East. It was back to South again with this hand:
♠KQ75
KJT98
T
♣Q64

South had a couple of options -- 1♠ not being one of them. To overcall you need a good FIVE card suit. Now yes, in the balancing position you might be stuck, but here South was not.

So yes, South should have overcalled 1 instead of 1♠ IF they were going to overcall.

Another option South had was to make a Take Out Double instead of overcalling. This way they can potentially find a fit in either major. This works out well on this hand because they do not have a fit but they do have a ♠ fit. So, to be fair to South, bidding 1♠ did help the partnership discover their ♠ fit much better than 1 would have.

Now let's talk about West's 2NT bid.

West probably should not have bid 2NT. They probably meant to show a strong balanced hand with 18 or 19 HCP. However in THIS auction they would only need to bid 1NT to show this strong balanced hand. Why? Because their Partner PASSED their opening bid! Partner is broke. Don't get too high! If West just had a minimum hand that would normally rebid 1NT they should be PASSING now! Partner has nothing! Stay out of trouble!

Now back to North with this hand:
♠ J982
A7
QJ83
♣ J92

If my Partner makes a Take Out Double originally I will DOUBLE the 2NT bid. Penalty. You've bid too much opponents.

If my Partner makes a 1 overcall originally I might DOUBLE the 2NT bid. Penalty. You've bid too much opponents.

If my Partner makes a 1♠ overcall originally I still might DOUBLE the 2NT bid. Penalty. However with the 9 card fit I probably would not. I would probably raise my Partner's suit.

I think the best place to play is 2NT Doubled. Best for North/South I mean. I think West is going to be in big trouble -- those are not running and I know it.

2 comments:

  1. I was playing South :)
    North/South had together 23 total points, are these not enough for a 3♠ contract? I have not made a Take Out Double, because I had only 11 HCP and not 12 HCP.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think North should have bid something and since you showed a five card spade suit they should have bid 3S for sure.
    P.S. With the right shape you only need 10 HCP to make a Take Out Double. This was not the perfect shape but close and you had slightly more than 10 HCP. It was definitely an option.

    ReplyDelete