Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Declarer Play -- Try the Finesse?

Read the High Card from the Short Side and the Finesse posts first if you haven't already.

The bidding was: My partner (who is now Dummy) opened the bidding 1. My RHO overcalled 1♠. I chose to respond 1NT. My LHO passed and my partner bid 3. (3 here should show about 16-18 HCP and 6.) My RHO passed and I bid 3NT which ended the auction.

Contract 3NT. Opening lead 7♠.

Dummy
♠98
AQ5
AQJT93
♣A9

Declarer
♠A32
J74
K7
♣J8763

In NT we count our winners. We look at each of the suits and determine how many tricks we can take in that suit immediately.

♠1 winner
1 winner
6 winners
♣1 winner

This adds up to 9 winners. I am in 3NT. No problems there. Any way to get more winners? How about a finesse? I could try to play the J from my hand towards the AQ in Dummy. If LHO has the K I will get an extra trick.

Any problems with that? Seems like an easy way to make an overtrick.

So I win my A♠ and play the J. My LHO plays small and I play small. My RHO wins the K and starts playing ♠ after ♠ after ♠. They ended up with 6 tricks and I am down in my contract. Which is a little confusing considering I had 9 tricks at the beginning. What went wrong?

Well once I won the A♠ I need to recognize the fact that I am in BIG trouble with the ♠ suit. If the opponents get in (either one!) they will take ALL their ♠ winners. So I CAN'T let them in. Luckily I have 9 tricks right away so I can make my contract. In this case I do NOT want to finesse the . It's just not worth taking a chance of going down in my contract in order to make one extra trick.

So back to the beginning. I will win the A♠ and now take my 9 tricks right away. I will remember to play the high cards from the short side of the suit in . So I will play the K from my hand first. Then I'll play the 7 towards all the in Dummy. Then take my 2 other Aces. 3NT bid and made.

No comments:

Post a Comment