Friday, April 2, 2021

Hand 24 - 1NT vs 1 Major

This is chapter 24 in the story of my attempt to determine if it is better to open 1♠ or 1NT with 15 to 17 HCP and a five card ♠ suit.

The journey started with this post:
Later On

Here is the twenty-fourth hand I generated:

North
♠KT
♥AK8
♦653
♣Q9875
West
♠AQJ83
♥Q4
♦K92
♣K62
East
♠954
♥JT52
♦QJ8
♣T43
South
♠762
♥9763
♦AT74
♣AJ

Dealer is West and everyone vulnerable.

Double Dummy:
1NT can make by N/S
2♦ can make by N/S
2♣ can make by N/S
1♥ can make by N/S
1♠ can make by E/W


Analysis

If West opens up 1NT I think this is where they will play.

What happens if West opens 1♠?

I also think this is where they will play! No one really has a bid after. North just might risk a 2♣ overcall but it is such a bad suit they really shouldn't.

1NT can make -- but by N/S!!! If East plays in 1NT they will certainly go down on a fourth best ♣ lead.

1♠ does (just barely!) make. So I am giving 1♠ the win.

To see the table where all the hands are listed click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment