Tuesday, February 16, 2021

How to get to Slam?

Hi Heidi,

In the hand below, North has a strong hand and partner made a preemptive bid. How should North bid? Should North explore slam with this hand below? If so, how?

None vulnerable, South is dealer:

North
♠KQ
♥AQT54
♦AQ7
♣A87
West
♠
♥J72
♦K4
♣QJT96432
East
♠T763
♥963
♦J832
♣K5
South
♠AJ98542
♥K8
♦T965
♣

N E S W
2♠ 3♣
???


Heidi's Answer:


First of all South is just TOO strong to open 2♠. This shows a six card suit only. South has a seven card suit and a nice outside void. They should be opening 3♠ at a minimum.

Second of all West has a pretty bad overcall. But kids these days don't seem to realize that a three level overcall shows values. To be fair the ♣ suit is really long and West is short in the ♠ suit.

However North knows nothing about that. I would trust my Partner had six ♠ to the Ace at least. What are they going to lose? I also would assume West for their three level overcall probably has the red suit Kings so all my red suit finesses will win. That means Partner can set up my ♥ suit for winners. We shouldn't lose any tricks!

To be sure I might bid 4NT asking for Aces. Partner will show me one Ace and now I will just bid 7♠. Parter might have to finesse the ♥ but again I'm pretty sure West has the King since they did make that 3 level overcall.

On this hand Partner has the King so it all works out.

Suggested Auction over 2♠:


N E S W
2♠ 3♣
4NT Pass 5♦ Pass
7♠ Pass Pass Pass

No comments:

Post a Comment